The Louise Graham Regeneration Center was founded by Louise Graham (1903-1983), the daughter of a slave, in 1949. Ms. Graham, a volunteer at All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg, Florida, met a developmentally disabled man who had been abandoned by his family. Because of his disability, hospital personnel treated him as if he were helpless. Ms. Graham felt the best way to help him was to teach him self-sufficiency. She took him home, set up shelving in her garage and taught him how to stock the shelves. Ms. Graham worked with him until he could stock and arrange the shelves on his own. She then arranged an interview for him at a local grocery store where he was hired as a stock clerk. As the years went on, she continued helping the developmentally disabled, and because of her dedication, friends throughout St. Petersburg joined her by volunteering their time and donating resources. From 1952 to 1980, the group was known as the Florence Nightingale Circle and an environmentally responsible paper recycling business became the vehicle for job training. When Louise Graham died in the 1980s, her friends renamed the organization in her honor. Today, the Louise Graham Regeneration Center continues to meet the needs of developmentally disabled adults who deserve to be recognized for their ability to contribute meaningfully to our community.